For the man, the lack of respect equals the lack of love. The fact is that many women do not know what their husbands put behind the word "respect". Every man has his own list of what seems to him to be respectful or disrespectful.
To respect his man is to answer one of his deepest needs. Click to tweet
This post is mainly for women. A husband can not force his wife to respect him or to submit to him. It is up to the woman to make the decision to do so.
Just as women need love, men need respect. The supreme purpose of marriage is detailed in Ephesians 5/20-33. It goes far beyond the reach of the health of our individual marriages although the application of these principles allows for happier and more fulfilling marriages. God's plan for the marriage He has instituted: to emphasize the intimate relationship that exists between Christ and his Church. Everyday marriage is thus a kind of living parable where husbands represent Christ and their wives the Church, to give glory to God and to help our children and others around us to grasp more concretely what God is.
For the man, the lack of respect equals the lack of love. Click to tweet
The fact is that many women do not know what their husbands put behind the word "respect". Every man has his own list of what seems to him to be respectful or disrespectful. Some points are almost universal, others will be specific to your husband. So what matters most is what is respectful or disrespectful to YOUR man. That's why it's important to discuss it with him - choose of course when he is the most relaxed to ask him these questions - and discuss the different points on this list, if of course he is open to the discussion on the subject.
My prayer is that God convinces us and opens our eyes so that we learn to be respectful, women who value the leadership of our husbands and who honor Christ as well through our thoughts, our attitudes, our words and our actions!
Here is a summary of what is considered disrespectful by men (for more details, check the list below).
- Have attitudes, words and / or actions that imply or show:
- that he is not intelligent, capable or competent
- that it does not suit you sexually
- that he does not provide enough for you financially
- that you are superior to him morally or spiritually
- that you respect and admire another man more than you respect and admire
- he is not a good father.
- Show contempt for what he is as a man - Do not accept him as he is (I do not say that you must respect sin, but that you must respect him as a person and as a person as your husband).
- Tell him what he should do or do "the leader".
- Take control of the family and not let him fulfill the leadership role God has given him.
- Make fun of him, belittle him, criticize him or denigrate him especially in the presence of other people.
- Have a body language that communicates contempt, hatred or judgment.
- To diminish his authority as a father.
- Comment on weaknesses and gaps.